So, with a mix of trepidation and excitement I am in the final stages of planning for my June trip across Europe.
Ironically, this is supposed to be a ‘spur of the moment’ sort of affair. One of these days I will embark on a real life spur of the moment adventure. (And may subsequently implode)
I’m relatively new to the travelling game, however have already learnt that there are a few key items that make EVERYTHING a whole lot easier.
Obviously remember passport, tickets, reservations, some form of money (either cash or a travel card/debit card, also tell your bank where/when you are going).
But then also –
- Watch (because technology can fail you, and telling the time is probably important when travelling)
- Penknife (for various reasons)
- Clip top box (for cheap on the go meals)
- Water bottle/flask
- Lighter (even if you don’t smoke, a useful tool)
- Towel (not essential if staying in a hotel, but if backpacking it may be nicer than a hostel towel. Can alwasy buy one though.)
- Toothbrush (all other bits can be bought, as can a toothbrush I guess, but its nice to have it to hand just in case)
- Snacks – if your journey is long.
- Sweets, of your choice. (a lifesaver for a long travel day – especially if you don’t want to pay airport/station prices)
- Sketchbook/notebook and pens
- Medications (even if you don’t take anything; taking some painkillers is never a bad idea) and any associated letters/prescriptions needed
- A decent back pack
- Buff (depending on the temperature a thicker/thinner one)
- money belt
- (If sofa surfing) sleeping bag/liner
(if camping) tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, torchI’m not camping this time, but it was worth a mention.
- Clothes (this can vary depending on the length/climate, but I always include a pair of comfy joggers and socks, boots if camping, hat/glasses if sunny, gloves/thermals if cold or anywhere in the UK)
- Electronic items – Phone, Camera, Laptop, kindle, satnav, tablet etc (remember your glasses if you take your laptop, because headaches, ok that’s maybe just me but still)
- Any charging cables for electronic items you take, a power bank if you have one (plus spare batteries for torches etc)
- Music/book/some form of entertainment (remember headphones if you want to listen to said music)
- Loo roll (just a little bit, or a whole roll: better safe than sorry!)
This is mostly just a checklist for myself, but any and all input is always appreciated. I have probably forgotten something.